Determining significant cut off titre of single widal test for identifying presence of active typhoid/paratyphoid infection by studying baseline endemic widal titres from Meerut (UP), India & adjoining sub-urban regions
Introduction: Globally enteric fever is one of the most infectious disease and endemic in all parts of India. Widal test is considered positive with a fourfold rise in titre in paired sera collected at intervals of one to two weeks or if the antibody titres are higher than the cut -off value in a single test. In endemic areas due to previous exposure and cross reacting antigens, the healthy population may contain antibodies capable of reacting at variable titres in widal test which is called as baseline antibody titre. Widal titres among healthy population of different areas differ substantially and depends upon the endemicity of typhoid in each area which has been changing over time.
Aim: To establish the baseline endemic titre inorder to determine significant cutoff values for the single Widal test in Meerut and adjoining suburban areas.
Material and Methods: 580 sera were tested by the Widal tube agglutination test from January 2012 to June 2013.
Results: Baseline endemic titre for enteric fever in our region for TO and TH was found to be 1:80 and that for AH and BH was noted to be 1:40 and 1:20 respectively .
Conclusion: For single Widal test, significant cutoff titre for TO and TH was ≥1:160 and that for AH and BH was ≥1:80 and ≥1:40 respectively. Single Widal test can be widely used as the diagnostic tool for enteric fever in endemic areas if we know the baseline endemic titres and this should be updated periodically with time.
2. Pang T, Levine MM, Ivanoff B, Wain J, Finlay BB. Typhoid fever--important issues still remain. Trends Microbiol. 1998 Apr;6(4):131-3.
3. Meltzer E, Sadik C, Schwartz E: Enteric fever in Israeli travelers; a nationwide study; J Trvel Med. 2005 Spt- Oct; 12(5): 275-81. PMID: 16256052
4. Taiwo SS, Fadiora SO, Oparinde DP, Olowe OA. Widal agglutination titres in the diagnosis of typhoid fever. West Afr J Med 2007;26(2):97-101.
5. Patil AM, Kulkarni ML, Kulkarni AM. Baseline Widal Titres in Healthy Children. Indian J. of Peadiatr. 2007;74:1081-83.
6. L.olopoenia and A.King: Widal agglutination tets-100 years later: still plagued by controversy, Postgrad Med J.2000 February; 76(892); 80-84. [PMCID; PMC1741491].
7. Schroeder SA. Interpretation of serological tets for typhoid fever. JAMA 1968; 208:839-40.
8. Saha SK, Ruhulamin M, Hanif M, Islam M, Khan W A. interpretation of the Widal test in the diagnosis of typhoid in Bangladeshi children. Ann Trop Paediatr 1996;16(1):75-8.
9. Senewiratne B, Senewiratne K. reassessment of the Widal test in the diagnosis of typhoid. Gastroenterology 1977; 73(2):233-6.
10. Bharat M Pokhrel et.al: Distribution of antibody titer against Salmonella enterica among healthy individuals in Nepal. Ann Clin Mircobiol.2009; 8:1.
11. Bharat MP, Rajendra K, Shyam KM, Janak K. Distribution of antibody titre against Salmonella enterica among healthy individuals in Nepal. Annals of Clin Microbiol anti-microbial. 2009;8.112-18.
12. Parry CM, Hoa NT, Diep TS, Wain J, Vinh HA, Chinh NT, et al. Value of a single – Tube widal test in diagnosis of typhoid fever in Vietnam. J Clin Microbiol 1999; 9 : 2882-86.
13. Clegg A, Passey M, Omeena M, Karigifa K, Suve N. Reevaluation of the Widal agglutination test in response to the changing patterns of typhoid fever in the highlands of Papua, New Guinea. Acta Trop 1994;57:255-63.
14. Mana C, Chaicumpa W, Kalambaheti T, Thin-inta W, Echeverria P, Overtoon R. Current status of the Widal test in the diagnosis of typhoid fever in an endemic area.
Southest Asian J. Trop. Med. Public Health 1989;20:493- 95.
15. JN Punia, RM Joshi,V Gupta,RK Arora: Determination of Baseline Widal titres from Chandigarh: Indian Journal of medical Microbiology,(2003) 21 (2):144
16. Roohi Aftab,rukshan Khurshid: Widal Agglutination titre: A Rapid Serological Diagnosis of typhoid fever in Developing Countries,Pak J Physiol 2009;5(1):65-67
17. T Pang and S D Puthucheary:Significance and Value Of The Widal Test in Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever in an endemic area:J clin Pathol 1983;36:471-475.
18. Ayse Willke,Onder Ergonul, Banu Bayar:Widal Test in Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever in turkey:Clinical and Diagnostic laboratory Immunity,July 2002,p.938- 941,Vol.9,No.4.
19. G.O. Oyeyinka & S~al.im onu: Plasma titres of antibodies to Salmonella O and H antigens in Ibadan,Nigeria. The Tropical Journal of Health Sciences. Vol.9 (2002).
20. Ibekwe A.C., Okonko A.U.,Donbraye E.,Babalola E.T and Onoja B. A. : Baseline Salmonella Agglutinin titres in apparently healthy freshmen in Awka, South eastern,Nigeria; Scientific Research and Essay,September 2008; Vol.3(9),pp.425-430.
21. Pal S, Prakash R, Juyal D, Sharma N, Rana A, Negi S. The Baseline Widal Titre Among the Healthy Individuals of the Hilly Areas in the Garhwal Region of uttarakhand, India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 March,7(3):437-40.
22. Peshattiwar P. Study of the Baseline Widal titre amongst healthy individuals in Amalapuram, India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012 (May) Suppl-1, 6(3):416-17.
23. Patil AM, Kulkarni ML, Kulkarni AM. The baseline Widal titre in healthy children. Ind. J. Paed. 2007; 74: 1081-83.
24. Shukla S, Patel B, Chitnis DS. 100 years of the Widal test and its reappraisal in an endemic area. Indian J Med Res. 1997; 105: 53-57.
25. Sneha AJ. Study of the baseline Widal titres among healthy individuals in Puducherry ; 2011 [cited 2012, March 26]. Available from: http://smvmch.ac.in/sites/default/files/Study of the baseline Widal titres among healthy.pdf.
26. K.Sreenath, Sujeesh Sebastian and R. Deepa. Detection of baseline Widal titres among the blood donors:A population based study, international journal of current microbiology and applied sciences;Volume 3 :Number 1 (2014) pp. 428-431.
27. Dr.Vijay K Kataria , Dr. Niti Bhai , Dr. Bhim S Mahawal , Dr. Reshmi C Roy. Determination of baseline Widal titre among apparently healthy population in Dehradun City;IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences Volume 7, Issue 2 (Jul. – Aug. 2013), PP 53-55.
28. Garima Mittal, Pratima Gupta, Rajiv Kumar Agarwal, Manjubala Talekar, Gita Negi, Shalini Gupta. Evaluation of the baseline Widal titres in healthy blood donors of
Uttarakhand; Indian journal of community health ,Vol 26 ,Issue no 03 , Jul – Sep 2014.
Copyright (c) 2015 Biomedical Review: Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences (JBAMS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.