Haematological changes in stored whole blood - An observational study in a tertiary hospital blood bank
Introduction: Several studies are going on to study the effects of transfusing stored RBCS on recipients. Several haematological changes occur in stored blood which may have some medical effects on the recipients. The biochemical changes may vary from donar to donar as well as from Blood bank to blood bank. Also effects of transfused RBCs will vary from recipient to recipient. Lot of clinical trial should be taken before assessing the safety of stored RBCs.
Objectives: To study the various haematological changes occurring in a stored whole blood.
Material and methods: Analysis of hematological changes occurring in stored whole blood in 20 voluntary donars was done in a blood bank of a tertiary hospital.
Results: Of the various haematological parameters studied only significant changes were seen in total WBC count, percentage of lymphocytes and polymorphs and MPV after storage. There was a significant decrease in Total WBC and polymorphs concentration values.
Conclusion: Certain haematological changes do occur in stored whole blood over duration of storage. As the demand for blood is high due to various medical conditions; the treating consultant should be aware of the haematological changes seen in stored whole blood.
2. Mollison P.L. Other Unfavouable effect of Transfusion In: Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine. 6th ed. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publication. 584 – 586 (1979)
3. Carmen RA, Sohmer PR, Leng BS, Moore GL, Nelson EJ, Simon TL, Myhre BA, Marcus CS, Moroff G, Lewis LM, et al. Five-week red cell storage with preservation of 2,3 DPG. Transfusion. 1988 Mar-Apr;28(2):157-61.
4. Cohle SD, Saleem A, Makkaoui DE. Effects of storage of blood on stability of hematologic par ameters. Am J Clin Pathol. 1981 Jul;76(1):67-9.
5. Lave. EM., Jones H., Williamson L.M., et al. Serious hazards of transfusion. Annual Report. ISDM 09532789 3X. (2000).
6. Hebert PC, Chin‐Yee I. Clinical consequences of prolonged blood storage; should old red cell be transfused in critically ill patients? In: Vincent J‐L, ed.Yearbook of
Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer‐Verlag, 2000; 494–506,
7. Vamvakas E.C. and Carven J.H.,Length of storage of transfused red cells and post operative morbidity in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Transfusion 2000 Jan ; 40 (1) 101 -9
8. Guidelines for the Blood Transfusion Services in the United Kingdom, 5th Edn. The Stationery Office Ltd. 2001
9. Kuter DJ, Cebon J, Harker LA, Petz LD, McCullough J. Platelet growth factors: potential impact on transfusion medicine. Transfusion. 1999 Mar;39(3):321-32.
10. Bonaventura J. Clinical implications of the loss of vasoactive nitric oxide during red blood cell storage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Dec 4;104(49):19165-6. Epub 2007 Nov 28.
11. Bennett-Guerrero E, Veldman TH, Doctor A, Telen MJ, Ortel TL, Reid TS, Mulherin MA, Zhu H, Buck RD, Califf RM, McMahon TJ. Evolution of adverse changes in stored RBCs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Oct 23;104(43):17063-8. Epub 2007 Oct 11.
12. Hess JR. An update on solutions for red cell storage. Vox Sang. 2006 Jul;91(1):13-9.
13. Bruce-Chwatt LJ. Blood transfusion and tropical disease. Trop Dis Bull. 1972 Sep;69(9):825-62.
14. Thon IN, Schubert P, Duguay M, Serrano K, Un S, et al. (2008) Comprehensive proteomic analysis of protein changing during platelet storage requires complementary
proteomic approaches. Transfusion 48: 425-435.
15. Ono T, Kitaguchi K, Takehara M, Shiiba M, Hayami K. Serum-constituents analyses: effect of duration and temperature of storage of clotted blood. Clin Chem. 1981 Jan;27(1):35-8.
16. Hankinson SE, London SJ, Chute CG, Barbieri RL, Jones L, Kaplan LA, Sacks FM, Stampfer MJ. Effect of transport conditions on the stability of biochemical markers in blood. Clin Chem. 1989 Dec;35(12):2313-6.
17. Heins M, Heil W, Withold W. Storage of serum or whole blood samples? Effects of time and temperature on 22 serum analytes. Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1995 Apr;33(4):231-8.
18. Shields CE. Effect of adenine on stored erythrocytes evaluated by autologous and homologous transfusions. Transfusion. 1969 MayJun;9(3):115-9.
Copyright (c) 2015 Biomedical Review: Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences (JBAMS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.